Avocado Toast with Pickled Onion
Pairs well with the
Cantina Mesa PRIMO BIANCO
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 peppercorns, whole
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 2 Hass avocados
- 2 tbsp lime or lemon juice
- 4 slices artisan bread, toasted
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- Fresh chives, chopped
- Smoked paprika
- Lemon or lime wedges
- Add the vinegar to a small saucepan. Warm over medium heat for five minutes. Add the sugar and stir to dissolve. Remove from heat. Add the sliced onion, peppercorns, and a bay leaf to the vinegar mixture. Stir and let rest for an hour or refrigerate up to one week in advance.
- Slice the avocados in half, remove the pits, and scoop the flesh into a bowl. Add the lime juice, salt, and pepper. Mash coarsely with a fork. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat. Add the butter and melt. Crack eggs one at a time into the skillet without breaking the yolk. Cook them sunny side – until the whites are set but the yolks are still soft, about 4-5 minutes.
- Spread the avocado mash over each of the toasted bread slices. Top with a fried egg.
- Drain the pickled onion. Top each toast with several pickled onion slices, salt, and pepper. Garnish with paprika, chives, and citrus wedges. Serve immediately.